[Sorry for the blurriness...I couldn't get my camera to focus for this pic :( ]
Okay, so the next recipe I'm going to share is my recipe for homemade calzones. I've been making this for at least 7 years know. I am not sure exactly where I got the recipe but it's so delicious!
1 (.25oz) package active dry yeast (2 1/4 tsp.)
1 cup warm water
1 T. olive oil
1 tsp. white sugar
1 tsp. salt
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour, divided
1 tsp. olive oil
1/2 cup ricotta cheese
1 1/2 cup mozzarella
1/2 cup diced pepperoni
1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
1 T. dried basil
1 egg, beaten
1. To make the dough: In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in water.
2. Add the olive oil, sugar and salt.
3. Mix in 1 cup of the flour until smooth. Gradually stir in the rest of the flour until dough is smooth and workable.
4. Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface
5. Knead for about 5 minutes or until it is elastic.
6. Pour a little olive oil in a large bowl. Place dough in and flip over so the oiled side is up.
7. Cover and place in a warm place to rise for about 40 minutes or until almost doubled. I like to use my oven if it's off.
To Make the Filling:
8. While the dough is rising, in another bowl combine the ricotta, mushrooms, mozzarella, and basil. Here, you can add any ingredients you like. I don't measure them exactly. Because you can never go wrong with too much cheese! I usually dice up the pepperoni too. But you can do whatever you like.
9. Mix well. Cover and refridgerate until ready to use. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Farenheit.
10. After 40 minutes the dough should have doubled in size like this.
11. Time to get out some frustration ;-) Punch it down. Then split it into two portions. (Or if you are making individual calzones, portion it however you like, they'll just be smaller.)
12. On a lightly floured surface roll out each ball into a circle. Make sure there is flour underneath so it doesn't stick as you are rolling it out.
13. Transfer to a baking sheet or a stone. To do this, I use a trick my mom taught me. Roll it over the pin just a little then you can pick it up and move it more easily.
14. Put half the cheese mixture onto one half of the circle.
15. Fold the dough over like this.
16. Take the edges and fold them over and press down to help seal. Then using a lightly floured fork, press the edges to seal.
17. Beat the egg and a teaspoon of water in a small bowl and using a pastry brush, brush on the egg wash. This will give it a nice golden shine when it bakes.
18. Bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees Farenheit for 30 minutes or until done.
19. Serve with a side of pizza sauce and Enjoy!
Again, please let me know if you try this! I'd love to hear feedback!